Frequently Asked Questions
Projects and benefits
What is Sunrise Wind?Sunrise Wind is our second utility-scale offshore wind project in New York. This 880MW offshore wind farm will have the capacity to power more than half a million homes in New York.
Who is Sunrise Wind?Sunrise Wind is bringing unparalleled experience in developing offshore wind to New York. This is a 50/50 partnership between Ørsted – the global leader in offshore wind – and Eversource, New England’s largest energy company. The project also has support from Con Edison Transmission and the New York Power Authority.
What will Sunrise Wind provide in terms of jobs and economic benefits to New York?
Sunrise Wind will support Governor Cuomo’s goal of establishing an enduring offshore wind supply chain in New York State, and to help achieve this, the project proposes many economic development and job opportunities, including, but not limited to:
- Entering negotiations with New York State contractors and trade labor organizations on a Project Labor Agreement to cover construction activities for the project, and committing to paying prevailing wages
- Supporting approximately 800 jobs through the project’s development, construction and operation
- $10 million for a National Workforce Training Center on Long Island, creating a curriculum and developing training programs that will support the next generation of jobs in the growing offshore wind industry
- Building a new Operation and Maintenance Hub in Port Jefferson, creating up to 100 new and permanent full- time jobs
- Investing $11 million for major port infrastructure upgrades as part of the New York Ports Infrastructure Development Fund and Upstate New York Workforce Development Fund
- Fabricating key components for the foundations of offshore wind turbines at facilities in the Capital Region
Read more about https://us.orsted.com/about-orsted and https://www.eversource.com/content/general/about by clicking on the links.
What is the impact to ratepayers?Per NYSERDA, the average bill impact for residential customers will be less than a dollar per month per customer
Where will it be built, and will it negatively impact New York's beaches?The Sunrise Wind project will be built at least 30 miles east of Long Island’s Montauk Point, virtually unnoticeable for Long Island beachgoers and residents. What do we mean when we say that? It’s unlikely that anyone standing on any of Long Island’s beaches will ever see one of our turbines. The project’s planned interconnection point is the Holbrook and West-Bus substations in the town of Brookhaven within the Long Island Power Authority’s (LIPA) service territory.
What will you do the protect the interests of fisherman and the fishing industry?Eversource and Ørsted share a core commitment to the communities we serve. Our site is located in an area that has limited commercial fishing activity, which is part of the reason why we believe it is the best offshore wind site for New York. Furthermore, last year, Ørsted announced a first-of-its-kind partnership with the Responsible Offshore Development Alliance (RODA) to improve communications and cooperation with the fishing industry. Ørsted also has both a marine biologist and a fisheries liaison on staff, who will continue to work with stakeholders to gain critical input relating to marine life in New York waters to support strategies that further the coexistence of fisheries and offshore wind.
Will Sunrise Wind work with local communities and elected officials who have concerns about this project?The Sunrise Wind project was carefully planned to help achieve Governor Cuomo’s nation-leading offshore wind and renewable energy goals, and to do so with the highest possible levels of public support. For that reason, we are committed to being a community partner that is respectful of the needs and interests of the communities in which we operate.